Yes you can in moderation, and we have a big chilly bin available (please bring your own ice) .
Here are some tips:
– Take a homeopathic remedy like Travel-Med or a pharmacy medication like Sea Legs or Marzine (Note: any pharmacy meds need to be taken the night before travel)
– Eat an easy to digest breakfast (not muesli)
– Drink only half your normal cup of tea prior to leaving. Avoid coffee or alcohol
– Lean on something while at sea. Don’t try to balance yourself
– Look at the horizon not the movement of the boat
– Eat ginger snacks like gingernuts or crystalised ginger
– Drink very little until you are on the way home, sip ginger beer or ginger ale
– Keep busy with fishing or ask the skipper if you can drive the boat.
We want you to enjoy fishing, not be seasick, so we constantly assess the weather and generally won’t go out in 25 knots or more. If your trip is cancelled because of bad weather an alternative booking or full refund will be offered.
We need at least 10 people for each day trip. We’ll let you know the night before if we don’t have enough and try to reschedule for the following day or another time that suits you. For this reason, having a mobile phone we can contact you on is important.
You can expect from 9 to 24 other people to join you on board.
BYO fishing gear
Reef Fishing – what you’ll need
– Boat rod & reel (eg 4/0)
– Line 15-24 kg (at least 120 metres)
– Hooks (No. 1/0 to 4/0)
– Sack or Chilly bin for fish
– Filleting knife
– Plastic bags for your fish
– Old towel
Hapuka Fishing (in addition to the items above)
– Heavy duty rod & reel (6/0 to 9/0)
– At least 500m hard low stretch line (15-24kg)
– Sinkers 320z
– Hooks (No. 15 Tuna circle)
– Squid, Mackerel lures
– Trolling lures
– Gimbal belt
-Sleeping bag, pillow & toiletries (if staying overnight)
– Music CDs
Hire our gear
We have everything you need available for hire:
– Reef fishing hire – $25 (includes your first lot of terminal tackle; trace, hooks and sinker)
– Hapuka fishing hire – $30 rod charge plus $25 tackle charge
– Replacement tackle is also available on board (but hopefully you don’t need it!)
– Terminal tackle for reef fishing $5 (trace, hooks and sinker)
– Terminal tackle for hapuka fishing $25 (trace, hooks and sinker)
Bait can be purchased on board or you’re welcome to bring your own.
– Bait $10 or $15 (squid pack)
– Food and clothing
Bring your own food
Tea and coffee are provided free of charge.
Bring a warm jacket, hat and sunblock. White soft soled shoes are your best bet. No high heels or black gumboots please, and jandals or bare feet are at your own risk.
Health and safety
Safety is a high priority for us, we also reserve the right to refuse anyone on board who arrives in an intoxicated state. No refund will be given.
Half Day and Full day
The majority of our fishing trips are full day (8am – 4pm) although we may be able to offer half day trips upon request.
Twilight and overnight
Looking for something different? We also offer evening fishing trips (4:30pm – 9:30pm), or overnight adventures (6pm until 5pm following day).
Two day excursions to Tuhua
Ever popular two day trips from 7 am until 5 pm the following day for up to 10 people.
Our fishing locations
We know thousands of great fishing spots around the Bay of Plenty but our motto is ‘travel less, fish more’. You can expect to start fishing between 30 minutes and 1 hour after we leave the harbour entrance. Our skippers (will) know the best places to take you on the day depending on the current and wind conditions and their recent experiences.
Where we leave from
We depart from the Tauranga Bridge Marina, 101 Awanui Drive which is on the Mount Maunganui side of the Tauranga Harbour Bridge.
– Ratahi is on Pier B54
– Te Kuia is on Pier B52
Freephone: 0800 224 278
From overseas: +64 7 544 3072
Alternative contact number:
027 477 3366 (mobile)
Blue Ocean Charters Ltd
PO Box 13100